21 killed in Deesa fireworks factory blast, rescue operations underway
The intensity of the fire was so severe that multiple blasts were heard, causing a roof collapse that buried several workers inside the factory. Firefighters from Deesa Municipality and ambulances from 108 emergency services rushed to the scene.

Advertisement
Deesa, Gujarat : A catastrophic explosion ripped through an illegal firecracker factory in Deesa, Gujarat, on Monday, leaving at least 21 workers dead and several others injured. The devastating blast on Dhunwa Road caused the building’s collapse, with debris and human remains scattered as far as 200 meters.
Sources revealed that about four to five teenagers are among the dead. Following the incident, the factory owner has absconded and work has been started to identify the workers. Chief Minister Bhupendra Patel has announced an assistance of Rs 4 lakh to the deceased and Rs 50,000 to the injured. However, the families of the deceased are unhappy with the assistance of Rs 4 lakh and are saying that they will collect Rs 4 lakh and give it to the government, the government should bring their sons back.
Firefighters and emergency response teams, including the State Disaster Response Force (SDRF), rushed to the site to conduct rescue operations. Meanwhile, the factory owner, Khubchand Sindhi, has reportedly absconded, prompting authorities to launch a full-scale investigation.
Preliminary reports suggest that all 21 deceased workers were migrants from Madhya Pradesh who had arrived in Deesa just two days before the tragedy. Sources indicate they had been engaged in firecracker manufacturing without legal authorization. “These workers were unaware of the hazards they were exposed to,” an official from the local administration stated.
Families of the victims are in deep distress as authorities attempt to identify the deceased. Several severely burned survivors have been admitted to Deesa Civil Hospital, while those in critical condition have been shifted to Banas Medical College in Palanpur.
Eyewitnesses described a thunderous explosion, followed by flames engulfing the entire factory premises. The impact was so severe that adjacent buildings suffered damage, and the godown next to the factory collapsed. “The blast was deafening. Within seconds, fire and smoke engulfed the area,” said a local resident.
Gujarat Assembly speaker Shanker Chaudhary visited the civil hospital in Deesa to take stock of the situation and met the members of the bereaved families. The family members prayed before the speaker to remain with them in the hour of grief.
The explosion is suspected to have originated from the hazardous chemicals used in manufacturing fireworks. Investigators believe that the factory was illegally producing firecrackers despite only having a permit for selling them.
The factory, identified as Deepak Traders, was operating under the pretense of a licensed firecracker retailer. However, it was found to be illegally manufacturing firecrackers using imported explosives.
Banaskantha Collector Mihir Patel confirmed the violation, stating, “The factory had no legal authorization for firecracker production. Strict action will be taken against those responsible.”
With the factory owner absconding, law enforcement agencies are intensifying their search to hold him accountable for the incident. Authorities are also investigating whether any officials were complicit in allowing these illegal operations to continue.
Several injured workers recounted their terrifying experience. “We were working when suddenly a loud explosion shook everything. Before we knew it, we were thrown to the ground, covered in flames and debris,” said one survivor from his hospital bed.
Another injured worker, suffering from over 40% burns, stated, “I remember running, but the fire was everywhere. Many of my colleagues didn’t make it out.”
The rescue operations continued for hours as authorities worked to clear debris and search for survivors. MLA Praveen Mali, Deesa Deputy Collector Neha Panchal, and other officials reached the site to oversee relief efforts.
Officials confirmed that 21 bodies had been recovered, while five critically injured workers were undergoing treatment. “We have rescued as many as possible, but the death toll could rise,” said Deesa Deputy SP C.L. Solanki.
The Gujarat government has promised swift action against illegal factories operating in hazardous conditions. A thorough inspection of firecracker units in the region is expected in the coming days.
Gujarat government spokesperson Rushikesh Patel addressed the incident, stating that the trader’s license to store firecrackers had expired in 2024. The trader had applied for a renewal, and after a thorough investigation by the local administration, the application was approved. However, the approval was granted despite the absence of necessary safety equipment. On March 12, the local administration conducted an inspection of the trader’s godown, during which they also recorded a video. At the time of the inspection, no firecrackers were found on the premises. It is suspected that the firecrackers were stored after the inspection. Currently, the police have detained two individuals in connection with the case, and legal action will be pursued against those responsible.
Advertisement