Burning bus : SMC’s city bus catches fire, miraculous escape for passengers.

Surat : Passengers and commuters had a miraculous escape after the city bus caught fire on the busy Ghod Dod Road on Friday morning. No casualty is reported.

Sources said the incident occurred on the main road near Rangeela Park on Ghod Dod Road on Friday. A city bus operated by SitiLink caught fire due to some technical snag in the vehicle. The passengers, driver and the bus conductor immediately vacated the bus following the serious spark in the engine of the vehicle.

Within few seconds, the entire bus was engulfed in fire. This led to commotion on the Ghod Dod road and that the commuters and pedestrians were seen running on the road following the huge fire in the bus.

Fire fighters from Surat Municipal Corporation’s (SMC) fire and emergency department immediately reached the spot and started the efforts to take the fire under control. It took more than half an hour for the fire fighters to gain control on the huge fire in the vehicle.

Fire sources said the city bus has been completely damaged in the massive fire.

An eye witness, Dhruv Desai, employee of the Surat District Cooperative bank said, “The entire bus was burning. Luckily, the passengers vacated the vehicle before the fire engulfed the entire bus. It was a gory scene. We immediately informed the fire department regarding the incident. There was commotion among the people on Ghod Dod Road. This is first time that we have seen such an incident”

Sources in the SMC’s BRTS department said the bus might have developed technical snag. It must be remembered that all the city buses including the BRT buses are running on CNG fuel.

Ends